Monday, February 1, 2016

The Value of Strength and Conditioning

One week out from the Rock N Roll Marathon.  My body feels great and I would say that I am fully recovered.  

My post race routine.  I took time to do some one legged frogs to open up the hip flexors, did some stretching, rolled my hamstrings, calves and quads, took a nice warm shower, spent a few hours in calf compression sleeves and had a nice, big In N Out Burger with fries and a chocolate shake.  There appears to be a few toenails in danger, but no blisters and only chaffing spot from my hydration belt on my right hip.  

I woke up on Monday feeling great!  Legs were a bit stiff but no aches or pains to report.  I took time once again to stretch and roll.  My Mom and I headed out on an adventure to see my Dad.  Six total hours in the car and the only issue was a bit of stiffness in the hamstrings and legs.  I rolled again before going to bed.  I returned to Denver on Tuesday morning.  Tuesday evening I rode my usual Kick’r cadence class and felt great.  Wednesday was Pre-Hab/Rehab and Fit (OCR Training and Heavy Lifting - see photos below) at eNRG.  I spent about 30 minutes in the Compression Boots after class and once again rolled.  Thursday, Kick’r Intervals.  30 minutes in Compression Boots and rolling.  Friday - Fit (all Heavy Today - Dead Lifts, Bench Press, DB Step Ups), Compression Boots and Rolling.  Saturday - 1 ½ hour long course Kick’r ride, Rolled before and after.  

Tuesday-Saturday I followed my “normal” routine almost to a T with the exception of two functional classes.  

I started strength training and focusing on recovery in June of last year.  I like, many triathletes, worried I wasn’t capable of doing this and didn’t have the time for this type of training while focusing on the swim, bike and run.  I made adjustments to my training schedule and opted to use myself as an experiment.  

My findings, I am, by far, in the best shape I ever have been.  This includes when I played competitive soccer through my high school and college years.  I am more balanced.  I train my arms, my legs, my core, my posterior chain and more.  My nutrition and recovery are as important as my training.  I believe that all of these pieces individually would benefit me but the combination of them working together toward a common goal have brought me to levels that I never dreamed possible.  I would not have been able to have the run that I did on Sunday without my training, recovery and nutrition at the level that they are.  

If you have wondered if adding these pieces to your training puzzle is important - the answer is yes - you cannot afford to not add them.  Please reach out to voice your questions and concerns and ask your coach what it takes to modify your plan toward a better you!  This stuff works!!  One Day...One Step.

IMG_7177.jpg  IMG_7183.jpg
               The sled pull - approx 165#                      Loaded gravel bucket

No comments:

Post a Comment