Monday, November 2, 2015

Reflection: One Year Ago Today



Life is about the journey.  I do my best on a daily basis to take life One Day and One Step at a time.  I write One Day One Step each day that I journal to remind myself to focus on the step in front of me not the step I plan to take in the future.  If I don’t get through the current step the ultimate goal or milestone that I am planning to achieve is not likely to happen.

Our ultimate finish line is the result of the journey to not only get to the finish, but every step that it takes to get there.  Last year on this date I was running my first marathon in New York City.  The journey to the start line involved over 550 training miles, mental preparation and unlimited support from my inner circle. The 26.2 miles of the actual event was a small piece of this journey.  

Toeing the start line, you know that the training is done.  It is now time for execution and with 26.2 miles in front of you, time to reflect on your journey that brought you there.  I remember the string of emotions - excitement, fear, nerves, doubt, confidence and more.  The experience was one that I will never forget.  It was one of the hardest days of my life due to a lot of things but ultimately I came away with a life lesson that has been so important in the past year.  The importance of mind over matter and the importance of breaking things into smaller chunks - one day one step.  

Watching the TCS NYC Marathon coverage yesterday brought back the full gamut of emotions.  I embraced people’s stories and the reflections on their journeys seen on Facebook and through the media coverage.  I found myself glued to the TV, the videos that were posted and to blogs.  A race like this has different meaning to everyone involved.  Keeping this at heart can change your overall day on the course as well.  It takes one person - whether you meet them waiting at the start, talk to them during the course of the race or connect with them after the fact due to sharing something in common.  These are connections that will be carried forward far beyond the finish line.  

I am so happy to have had the NYC Marathon as a major milestone in my journey.  The support from family and friends was absolutely amazing and I carried away many new friendships and connections that I treasure today.  Steps throughout the journey are there for a reason.  Embrace them and carry the lessons forward with you as you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment