Thursday, September 1, 2016

The Mindset Roller Coaster

In training for an event of any size or distance, there is a piece of training that is often forgotten. This is the training of the mind.  It is important to have a positive attitude embracing the event and to work on that mindset as you train.  

I follow many practices daily in my mindset journey.  I do may best to read 15 pages of a nonfiction book that will challenge my brain and push me out of my comfort zone every day.  After reading, I write in a journal - sometimes reflecting on gratitudes, other times celebrating milestones, addressing challenges or places to improve and more.  At the end of each entry for nearly a year now, I have written One Day...One Step and Courage to Start.  Strength to Endure.  Resolve to Finish.  These two affirmations have become a huge part of my everyday life and how I move through tasks, activities and responsibilities.  I find the days that I take the time to do these activities flow much better than the days that I decide to skip and press on.  These activities put me on the page that I want to be to start my day.  I am very fortunate that my husband supports this and allows me to spend this time in the morning before I start my day.  

With under 30 days remaining before I toe the line at IRONMAN Chattanooga, I have boarded a mindset roller coaster and it has turned into quite the ride. I have found even more importance in embracing my morning routine and have added many additions throughout the day.  I am experiencing a wave of emotions, questions and thoughts.  Am I ready - physically?  Am I ready - mentally?  What if I don’t finish?  Will I get my fundraising done in time?  What if I don’t finish my fundraising?  Do I have everything I need to travel to the event?  What bag should the following items go in?  Should they travel with my bike and the transport company or with me on the plane?  In a checked bag or a carry-on?  What if I get cold while I am running?  Will I have the clothes I need in my special needs bag?  Can Mike have clothes for me at the end - will that be soon enough?  I told him the other day that I wanted fresh fruit in the hotel room for after?  Will I really want fruit at 1:00 in the morning?  The type A in me has started building the lists of what I want in what bag and I will definitely check the list at least once or twice (ok - way more than that).  I am reading the Athlete Guide like it is The Bible and studying course maps.  And, trust me, this is just the surface of it!  When you are on your bike for 6-8 hours at a time, you have lots of time to generate scenarios!

I am fortunate to have many great supporters.  So many, that I cannot name in one place but I do write down their names as they touch me during the day. Every day it is my husband and family - who deal with me coming and going, always in a bike kit and in need of a shower or smelling like a pond and often tired.  It may be the person running or riding beside me.  The friend that checks in and offers advice or all of the people that put up with my posts and comment on them.  And all of my donors who have supported TeamEdith and the Edith Sanford Foundation who has provided me with the opportunity to race on their behalf.  (To see up to date fundraising information go to www.RunKimRun.com) I appreciate everyone of you more than you know and hopefully I have stopped to show you appreciation.  

I will continue to train my mindset every day as I train my body.  Today it was visualizations at the end of my training run using street signs.  Didn’t know how many signs there were in and around Redstone Park!  I continue to read and write and an open to any other thoughts or input that will provide the confidence that I need to cross the finish!  

Here are some that I am reading every day too.

"I have done my work. I am good at what I do. I am ready to be the fastest I have ever been."
  • Thanks Michelle
"We all want to be something: better, stronger, healthier, grittier, happier...But somewhere along the way, we stopped trying. We settled. We stopped giving it everything we had. We’re here to tell you that busting your ass is worth it, that trying is worth it, and that by changing one simple thing about your attitude, you can actually change your life. You can be better, stronger, healthier, grittier, and happier. All you need to do is commit to getting uncomfortable every day."
- Spartan - A Way of Life
Looking desperately for one more that one of my colleagues posted.  I will add it in and continue to read and post as I see them - lots go onto Twitter @kimtwelk.  

In the meantime, I press on One Day...One Step!  

thunderhawk_slide_11.png

No comments:

Post a Comment