Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Pressing Reset

We’ve all had the day when you wake up, start following your usual routine and then it starts spiraling and eventually feels like it is out of control.  Sound familiar?  It happens to all of us.  This was me this morning in fact.  I woke up, went through my usual morning routine of reading and journaling.  Came down to be with the girls while the ate breakfast (an awesome breakfast I might add as Mike took the time to make them pancakes, sausage and fresh fruit - it looked awesome and fortunately I got to enjoy some after my ride!).  The girls were dragging - tired, quiet, a bit grumpy to say the least.  I was plugging away trying to find a car rental for an upcoming trip - frustrated that every time I refreshed the screen a new price appeared.  Heading out the door for school - the challenges of a permit driver - and getting back in the driver’s seat after dropping them to be reminded by the orange light that there is no gas in the car.  Happy morning.  I returned home with everyone off and sat down at my desk feeling overwhelmed by the inbox and the tasks at hand - trying to focus but still felt like I was swirling.  I reached out to my accountability partner - let her know what was going on - that I was heading out for a ride and hoping that I had a fresh start when I came back.  She set a goal for me to report in that it turned out to be a great day.  I opted to pursue that one step at a time!

My riding partner arrived at the height of the swirl.  Fortunately, she too has three kids and had, had a similar morning.  Maybe it was in the water.  Oh, by the way…  heading out the door, I was unable to locate my phone.  Knew it was around as my notifications come through my watch and I was receiving those but couldn’t find my phone anywhere....  Frustrating.  We set out with no specific purpose for our ride other than get the time in and attempt to reset ourselves.  We ended up having a great 20+ mile ride.  Listened to each other vent and talked about all kinds of crazy things.  We arrived back refreshed and ready to go.  A great ride, good company and a much needed restart to the day and we didn’t have to go back to bed to get it!  (we talked about that on the ride)  In the hour that I have been home, I am now back on track and feeling energized.  

I am asked a lot how I stay motivated through all of the training.  How I get done as much as I do.  I am fortunate to have an amazing support crew and a Why that is big enough that it affects how I show up.  I could have let the swirl continue to unravel and end up with a junky workout, nothing completed and feeling even worse or I could opt for a fresh start.  The ride provided the much needed reset.  There was a fair amount of climbing in the ride and when we reached the turn around we both commented on how easy the out had been - that we both felt great.  Apparently venting occurred through our legs too.  And apparently that is what it took to get us back on track!  The ride back had less hills and we enjoyed the reward of our efforts!

My advice for today.  Take it or leave it.  If you feel the swirl starting, figure out how to stop it and press the reset.  It will make a much better day for you and everyone around you!  By the way I found my phone right where I had left it when I returned - and had figured out where that was on my ride.

One Day...One Step!  Enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment