Monday, October 5, 2015

The Importance of a "B" Race

October 5, 2015
The Importance of a “B” Race

Who wants chocolate?  I added another race bib and finisher medal to the collection this weekend upon completing the Hot Chocolate 15K in Downtown Denver yesterday.  This race was not part of my original 2015 race schedule but came to be an addition for a multitude of reasons - a solid reminder of why we put different types of events into our training.    

Two weeks out from Ironman AZ 70.3, my training plan called for a long run as my final long preparation for race day.  It is always nice to have a change in venue for the long runs especially this late in the game as most of the time you put the miles in for longs runs in the same spot.  Purpose 1 of the Hot Chocolate 15K - change in venue!  Purpose 2 - Add a little bit of the race day excitement to remind you of the need to control your pace and energy and not get caught up in the excitement.  Practice in this area provides mindset that you are ready and “know” what to expect.  Purpose 3 - A little friendly competition - trying to catch that person that you’ve played cat and mouse with the whole way, the final push for the finish - to provide the spark to remind you why you race!  Finally, Purpose 4 - the opportunity to support friends, family and training partners participating in the race and out for their own goals.  The best and most rewarding purpose for me!

The race report.  

After stopping at the nearest Porta-potty one last time before heading toward the start corrals, I ran into a friend also headed for the start.  We walked together and talked about the upcoming run.  Her goals were to go the distance and use it as a basis for continued training going into the fall.  Her friend had joined her wanting to get a longer distance in - she had completed the Colfax ½ Marathon in May but the longest run since then was 3 miles.  The third person in her group was running the Rock N Roll Half in two weeks and using this as the final tune-up.  We agreed to set off together and part ways if our agendas did not match up.  I am always happy to have company!

Three of us stayed together for about 2 miles.  One peeled off for a restroom stop and asked that we continue on.  The second peeled off at mile 3 as her plan was to run 3 walk :30 and run 3 again.  She encouraged me to forge on.  The pace was good and even with the body struggles this week I felt good and in my groove.  I stepped up the pace a bit and decided to see if I could maintain it.  My first 5K was around 31 minutes.  A normal training pace but not a PR.  Second 5K was about 27-28 minutes which is in the neighborhood of my best 5K time.  The final 5K around 29-30.  Overall time 1:28:21.  Approximately 9:21/mile pace.  I enjoyed the run.  Enjoyed seeing a few people that I knew and enjoyed the race environment.  Overall all purposes were accomplished and it was a fun event!

Looking around at the people on the course - it is important to reflect on your “why.” And to remember that your “why” may be very different from the people surrounding you.  Focus on your journey.  One Day One Step!

No comments:

Post a Comment