Wednesday, April 15, 2015

How Much Do You Sweat?

As the next phase to my endurance training, I received information about Sweat Testing and decided it was time to have the test completed.  I have always been a sweaty person, at least in my own opinion.  I am the person that purchases shirts in colors that I know won’t show the sweat so that I don’t find myself in embarrassing situations.  Based on the fact that I sweat sitting still, you can only imagine how much I sweat during a normal training workout and add in temperature and humidity and it is simply crazy.  I was interested to find out how much I am truly loosing during my training and how best to maintain what is lost so I can press on through my training or event. 

The Sweat Testing process is fairly easy.  Like I said I sweat sitting still so it should be a slam dunk.  On two separate occasions on my own schedule I had to weigh myself prior to working out in the nude after using the restroom.   Upon completion of the workout, I had to once again weigh myself prior to using the restroom and record my weight as well as the amount of fluids consumed during the workout.  I typically take in about 15-16 oz of fluid in a 60 minute training session.  My weight was 1-2 pounds below the starting point.  This determined that I sweat at a rate of 0.8 Liters per hour. 

The next step of the process was to visit eNRG performance and Dina Griffin.  The sweat test is a two step process which involves no exertion.  The first step is to have two electrode pads on your arm for approximately 5 minutes.  There is a bit of tingling sensation but for the most part, you cannot feel anything.  After that the pad is switched out for a receptor that sits on your arm underneath a strap.  The receptor collects the sweat and slowly turns blue as it gathers.  This takes about 5-10 minutes.  Once it completes, the liquid gathered is input into a machine and the machine provides the Sweat Test Concentration Score.  In my case this number was 35.  This translates into the loss of 716 mg of sodium per Liter of sweat.  It turns out that this is fairly average in comparison to the rest of the world which was surprising to me. 

The take away is this.  In my future training sessions, based on knowing what I am losing along the way, I now have a direct plan on what and when to replenish both water and electrolytes.  This should improve or at minimum maintain my performance and allow me to continue to focus on my finish line goals. 


Please let me know if you would like additional information about Sweat Testing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment